In this post, you’ll find out more about Liz based on her answers to questions no one ever really asks. Feel free to do this on your own if you’d like!
It’s Monday and I don’t know what the weather is like for you, but it’s cold and drizzly in Chicago. I couldn’t think of a better way to start off a dreary week than with a little get-to-know-me post.
I found these 100 questions nobody ever really asks you on Still Being Molly. If you’d like to answers these on your own, feel free to copy them from my post or from Molly’s — I modified a couple of questions because they didn’t apply to me, but you can find the original list at the link above.
1. Are you named after anyone? Yes! I am named after my grandma, Elisabeth. Fun fact: She just turned 90 in April!
2. What would your parents have named you if you were the opposite gender? Michael. Ugh, imagine being called Mike (no offense to anyone named Mike)!
3. When was the last time you cried? I cried last week watching an episode of The Circle. I know . . .
4. Do you have kids? If no, how many do you want? I have my fur baby, Bailey, and I’m not sure if I want to have any children. Right now, I definitely don’t want kids.
5. If you were another person, would you be a friend of yourself? Absolutely! I think I’m a great friend.
6. Do you use sarcasm a lot? “No, not at all! Do you even know me?” she said sarcastically.
7. What’s the first thing you notice about people? This is going to sound weird, but the first thing I notice is the way people walk and how they carry themselves.
8. What is your eye color? I’ve always thought that my eyes were blue, but TikTok has me thinking that they’re gray.
9. Scary movie or happy endings? Horror movies all the way — but not the slasher, super gory, torture ones.
10. Favorite smells? Burberry Brit and the Mahogany Teakwood High Intensity candle from Bath & Body Works.
11. What’s the furthest you’ve ever been from home? Australia.
12. Do you have any special talents? I have a really good golf swing. Take me to Topgolf and I guarantee that I’ll surprise you with my Tiger Woods backswing.
13. Where were you born? Park Ridge, IL.
14. What language, besides your native language, would you like to be fluent in? German. I already know some German, but enough to get by in a conversation with a fluent German speaker.
15. What are your hobbies? Reading, writing, and candle making.
16. Do you have any pets? My kitten (who’s getting so big!), Bailey.
17. Do you have any siblings? Two half brothers, but I grew up an only child.
18. What did you want to be when you grew up? So many things! At some point in my life, I wanted to be one of the following: A fashion designer, fashion merchandiser, heart surgeon, professional dancer, detective, teacher, and pirate.
19. Who was your first best friend? I met my first best friend when I was two and she was three. She grand theft auto-ed me out of my Playskool car and we’ve been friends ever since.
20. How tall are you? 5’6″
21. What is your least favorite thing about yourself? My least favorite thing about myself is that when I get in an argument, I just shut down and give the other person the cold shoulder. And, I’m so stubborn that it’ll go on for days until the other person makes an attempt to talk to me first!
22. What is hard about being a cat mom? Leaving her at home by herself. We’re attached at the hip and we both have separation anxiety for each other.
23. How many countries have you visited? Five.
24. What was your favorite/worst subject in high school? My favorite subject was a humanities class I took my senior year — it combined art, history, and writing and we went on a really cool Chicago architecture tour and scavenger hunt. My worst subject has always been math, especially geometry.
25. What is your favorite drink? There are so many to choose from! Lately, I find myself craving a tall, cold bottle (or can, I don’t discriminate) of Coke.
26. Favorite animal? I’ve always loved cats and would beg my parents for a kitten every year for Christmas until I adopted Bailey at 29 years old. My other favorites are dogs, owls, and elephants. Cows are really cute, too!
27. Favorite perfume? Burberry Brit.
28. What would your name be if you could change it? I’ve always hated my name which is why I go by Liz — Elizabeth just doesn’t fit me. I think I’d make a good Heather. A lot of people say I look like a Samantha that goes by Sam or a Sarah.
29. What sports do you play/have you played? I still play golf occasionally. As a child, I took dance (which I consider a sport) and played volleyball and golf.
30. Who are some of your favorite fashion brands? I’m not particularly loyal to any brand, but I do love the Vera Wang jeggings! They’re just so comfortable and durable — 10/10.
31. Favorite memory from childhood? My favorite memories are of my grandpa. He used to love riding his bike and we’d go on long bike rides together over the summer. I miss him and think about him everyday.
32. How would you describe your fashion sense? Monochrome black and neutrals. I’m trying to add pops of color into my wardrobe.
33. What phone do you have? (iOS v Android?) I currently have the iPhone 12 mini (which I basically got for free).
34. Tell us one of your bad habits! I love picking my hangnails which is why I get my nails done regularly.
35. Have you forgiven yourself for past personal failures? Why or why not? Yes! We learn from our mistakes and the only way to move on is to forgive yourself, reflect, learn, and grow.
36. Have you ever visited a country outside your continent? Yes, twice.
37. Have you ever won a trophy or an award? What was it for? In college, I was awarded the David N. Simon Memorial Scholarship for being an honorable member of my sorority and to assist with my last year of school.
38. Have you read any of the Harry Potter, Hunger Games or Twilight series? Which one is your favorite? I read the first Harry Potter book fully. I read the entire Hunger Games series. I read all of the Twilight series except for the last book — I was about halfway through when I just couldn’t anymore.
39. What is under your bed? Cat toys.
40. What is one guilty pleasure you enjoy too much to give up? Reading smutty romance novels. #sorrynotsorry
41. What is something you are gifted at? I think I’m naturally empathetic. You have to be empathetic to be a teacher, but I think it just comes naturally to me.
42. What is the first movie you remember seeing? Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
43. What do you like about your home? I love the location! We’re close to so many different neighborhoods and cool spots.
44. What do you love about living in your neighborhood? Kind of like #43, I love how we’re so close to everything!
45. If you could change something about your home, without worry about expense or mess, what would you do? I would sound proof our condo. Our neighbors that live above us sound like they have lead feet.
46. What time do you usually get up in the morning? I have to get up at 6am for work. On the weekends or when I’m on a school break, I naturally wake up somewhere between 9am and 12pm. Bailey, however, dislikes my sleep schedule and wakes me up about very two hours starting at 5am.
47. What time is your usual bed time? I’m a night owl, so if I had it my way, my bedtime would be at 1-2am. However, that would mean I’d only get 4-5 hours of sleep a night, so I force myself to start winding down at 9pm and I usually fall asleep between 10-11pm.
48. What are three things that upset you? (1) When someone treats waitstaff or cashiers poorly, (2) when you sneeze and no one acknowledges it, and (3) being interrupted.
49. What are three things that make you happy? (1) Good morning and good night texts, (2) phone calls with my mom, and (3) cuddles with Bailey.
50. How is your relationship with parents? I love my parents! It has always been us three and I wouldn’t change it for the world.
51. What’s on your mind? My career. I’ve had a lot of opportunities thrown my way, and one of those could potentially be a career switch! I thank my pyrite ring for all of this luck.
52. What’s your talent? One talent I have is being able to read people — what type of person they are, what they’re feeling, etc.
53. What’s one word that describes you? Dependable.
54. What’s your favorite quote? The last two lines from the poem “Invictus” by William Ernest Henley: “I am the master of my fate, / I am the captain of my soul.”
55. Are you an extrovert or introvert? Introvert with extrovert tendencies. Honestly, my favorite moments are when I’m alone and unbothered (Bailey is the exception to this!).
56. Are you left or right handed? Right handed.
57. Do you consider yourself a good cook? I don’t mean to toot my own horn, but *toot* I’m a fabulous cook.
58. If money were no object, what would you get for your next birthday? The possibilities! Probably a nice 5 star vacation with all the fixings and for longer than two weeks.
59. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? I would love to live in Australia, but those giant bugs and snakes have got to go! Until then, I’d settle for somewhere warmer.
60. What’s your favorite thing to have for breakfast? I love avocado toast with an over easy egg on top. Is my millennial side showing?
61. What’s your favorite gadget? It’s not even a gadget as in some technological advancement, but it’s my favorite household appliance! It’s a toilet paper holder, but it’s like a toilet paper rollercoaster. I love it because it holds so many rolls of toilet paper and when you grab a new roll, the rest just roll on down and are ready for you to take. Love it for all of its genius!
62. What’s your longest relationship so far? My boyfriend and I have been together for 8.5 years.
63. What is your biggest accomplishment? Getting my master’s degree in 2017.
64. What is your biggest fear? Bailey running away, being side swept by a semi-truck on the high way, getting kidnapped . . . and then some.
65. What is your biggest regret? I honestly don’t have any. Everything happens for a reason and I wouldn’t be where I am today if I didn’t learn from my mistakes. Those are in the past and I’m always looking to move forward.
66. What is the most important thing in your life? Love.
67. Who is your favorite musician? There are so many good musicians out there, it’s hard to narrow it down to just one! Based on a concert experience, I would say my favorite was Post Malone.
68. What has required the most courage of you in your life so far? Going to a psychiatrist and therapist and being vulnerable about my feelings and emotions.
69. Beach or mountains? The beach.
70. What is your favorite food? Tacos.
71. What is your favorite fairytale? Beauty and the Beast.
72. What is your favorite ice cream flavor? I don’t really eat ice cream anymore thanks to IBS, but my favorite has always been any kind that has brownie bits in it.
73. What is your favorite book? The Nightigale by Kristin Hannah.
74. Where’s your favorite place to take an out-of-town guest? I like to take out-of-town guests on a drive down Lake Shore Drive.
75. What was your favorite TV show when you were a child? Again, so many to choose from! For some reason, the one that’s sticking out to me the most is Hey Arnold!
76. Are you more likely to avoid conflict or engage it head-on? Teachers can’t really avoid all types of conflict, so I’ve learned to take it head-on. However, if it’s a physical conflict, I avoid it at all costs because I do not want to get hurt.
77. Are you a fan of any sports team? No, I don’t sports.
78. What is good about how you are living your life right now? In my late twenties, I decided to live authentically and I’ve been my most authentic self ever since.
79. If you could eliminate one weakness or limitation in your life, what would it be? I would remove my stubbornness.
80. Who has left the most impact on your life? My mom and grandma, two of the strongest women I know!
81. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve seen in your life? I saw a ghost car once on the highway. My mom saw it, too, so either we’re both crazy or it in fact was a ghost car. I can’t explain it.
82. Who is the best teacher you’ve ever had? My third grade teacher. I remember I was so nervous to have her as my teacher because she was the “mean” teacher, but she taught me to have confidence in myself.
83. Who is the biggest pack rat you know? My boyfriend and my dad. No matter where I go, there’s a junk drawer, junk closet, or stack of junk that needs to be donated or thrown away!
84. Who is the first person you call when something exciting happens? My mom and boyfriend, whoever answers first!
85. Who is the first person you call when something horrible happens? My mom.
86. Who is the worst boss you’ve ever had? My manager when I worked at a grocery store. She promised 16 year old me a promotion if I added another day to my schedule. I did, but she never schedule me for it and I never got promoted. Four months later, I took two weeks off for a family vacation and only requested my regularly scheduled days off, but she decided that was the time she would add that extra day to my work schedule. For some reason, this 60 year old woman had it out for 16 year old me and used that as an excuse to fire me. Every other manager loved me and said I was a hard worker so I’m not sure how big and how long of a stick this woman had up her ass.
87. Do you save old greeting cards and letters or do you throw them away? I save them. I like looking back at them when I have a rough day or in remembrance of the person that sent them.
88. Do you sleep with the lights on or off? Off, but I do keep the TV on.
89. Do you prefer Titanic or The Notebook? Titanic.
90. Do you have a garden? Not yet, but I have plans for a garden.
91. Do you have a hidden dream that you’ve never shared with anyone? I would love to take singing lessons or be in a choir. My secret is that I sing decently when I’m by myself, but in front of people, my voice cracks and I’m off pitch. I would like to have the courage to sing in front of people because I really do enjoy singing when I’m by myself.
92. Do you hold any convictions that you would be willing to die for? Feminism and education reform.
93. Who sent the last text message you received? My teacher friend. We had a lockdown drill and I told her that my classroom door doesn’t have a lock on it, and we just laughed and laughed and laughed about how sad and pathetic the American education system is! I’m thankful that it was only a drill.
94. Who was the last person you ate dinner with? My boyfriend. We made steak tacos with homemade guacamole.
95. What is your most embarrassing moment? When I broke my nose. I was 16 and at color guard camp. We were practicing inside the cafeteria because of bad weather and my flag hit one of the dangling lights and fell on my nose. We had just weighted them that day, too. I should’ve been able to catch it, which is the most embarrassing part. The worst part of the story is that at that moment, the tornado sirens started sounding off so not only did I break my nose, but we literally had to duck and cover. The school nurse had to check my nose while we took cover under one of her medical beds. I hung out with her for a couple hours before going to the hospital because of the sirens.
96. What is something that amazes you? Learned helplessness and the fact that some teachers pass their students along because they don’t want them in class again.
97. What is at the top of your bucket list? Travel the world.
98. What scares you about aging? I spend so much time and money on skincare that I would hate to look older than my age!
99. Would you ever consider living abroad? Absolutely!
100. What book are you reading at the moment? I’m almost finished with Seven Years to Sin by Sylvia Day, and then I’ll be starting my book club’s choice The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin.
IN THE COMMENTS . . .
Answer one or some of these questions, or share the link to your post. I’d love to get to know my readers!
LET’S GET SOCIAL:
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW:
Want to earn AND save money? Click here to check out how you can earn and save money on everyday purchases.